Saturday, January 21, 2012

More drabbles from me

Ok. I put together a list I forgot to add last post. Or things I wanted to expand on. So if I repeat myself sorry. It is important.
Motivation Find someone who motivates you. Someone to help you on your way. When I first started out, I was wondering around like a lost puppy. So I found some other WLS patients on Youtube. My favorite is BandedWendy. The link to her chanell is on my links page. I learned everything from her. She is my WLS HERO!! Reciently I have added a few band patients on my facebook. We share recieps or hardships. When one of us has a victory or big day, we share together. Can always find some motivation. You can always find someone who has lost weight to ask questions but if you have a band specific issue, it is always nice to have someone who understands in your corner. When my band got extremely tight when the temp dropped a month or so, I turned to my banded friends. I was freaked out. They helped me so much. I feel I owe them.

Distractions When I first started exercising at the gym, I found myself bored or not physically able to keep going. (doing cardio) So I pulled up my youtube and watched BandedWendy videos. Told myself I couldnt quit until she quit talking. So when I could easly do 1 video, I moved to 2 videos. Soon I had no problem doing a hour straight. Still today, I will read books on my phone. Helps move time faster. Or Ill watch something on the TV that is on the machine. When I dont have my earbuds, I read the captions. Keeps you even more distracted.

Exercise Since im on that train, Ill keep going. I used to be intimidated to work out in front of everyone at the gym. But we all are there for the same reason. To get fit and healthy. I didnt want people seeing my fat ass saying wtf is she doing. But I realized, they dont look at you that way, they have the mind set, good for her, she is doing something to help herself. Yea, there will be assholes that are like that, but screw them. Show them what you can do!! haha. Another thing is the weight room. Was so intimidated because it was always full of these big buff body builders. I met with a personal trainer to change up my routein and she pushed me in there. Now, I love it! Those guys are the greatest. It is normally the same guys since I go at the same time everyday. You get to know each other. If you have a question about something or how to work a certain muscle, they jump right in to help you. Then argue on the best way to do it. Crazy men!! Don't be afraid of what others think, it will only hold you back. Exercise is one of the most important things you can do to be a better you. (dont forget to stretch either) I have had some injuries because of to much exercise and not enough stretching. Had to stop running because I had overusage of a muscle in my hip. 6 months later, and I still cant do what I was. Also it helps you get lean muscles instead of bulky muscles.

Food Log I know I mentioned this before but I think this is VERY important. Keeps you on track. Wether you do it in a notebook or electronically. Just do it!

Weekly Pictures/Measurements This helped me alot. I could physically see the differences week to week. I now look back at pictures from the begining and am amazed at what I have accomplished. I can also use my measurements to see how many inches I have lost.

Eating ok I could go on about this forever. But I will just share a few tips and will do a post later just on this. I like soups, but with the broth you get extra calories, and it makes the food move quicker through the band. I drain off most of the broth off my soups. Then it is more filling and less cals. win win. Remember DO NOT DRINK DURING OR 45 MINUTES AFTER EATING. Even if you dont have band, it is a rule to follow. It flushes out your stomach and makes you hungry. Fast food. ok, just because you are on the run, doesnt mean you cant eat healthy. I will do a full post soon on what I order at different resturants. Just remember your calorie goals, and do according to that. Im a boredom eater. So if I am bored I just automatically grab something to eat, So now I try to grab some gum. just something to chew and keep my mouth busy. Also remember if you feel hungry, you could be thirsty. If you are exercising like you should be remember that your muscles need the water to heal and work.

Excess Skin Uhh the dreded excess skin. I have tons of it. HATE IT! But I worked for that excess skin. it used to be filled with fat. So, I guess, it is a good thing. (saying that hurts, just so you know!) Not everyone gets it. There are those out there that have lost more than I have and were bigger that dont, just depends on your genetics and stuff. Dont ask me how that works, I have no clue. I do plan on getting it removed at some point. It is your personal choice on what to do.

Discouragment  (is that a word?) dont let other discourage you. Ill go out with my friends and ill hear are you serously eating that? or is that all you are going to eat? just answer with a simple Yup! Or they will order the greasiest fattening thing on the menu. Do I want it? Hell yes I do, but do I eat it no. It is hard, you have had these eating habits engrained in you for so long, that is why you, I, got fat. It is not easy, but your hard work will pay off.

Fat Again Do I fear getting fat again? That is a Big Fat YES! That is why I work so hard to prevent that. That is why I kill myself at the gym. That is why I eat this instead of that. It terrifies me. I yoyo'd for so long. I WILL NOT GO BACK TO THAT. That is another reason I like my before/after picture. I am so discusted with myself. How could I let mysef get that big. Granted, I have medical issues that make me starving ALL THE TIME, and I dont process food the same as others. That is why I was as big as I was. But I also made horrible choices. It is alot better now, but I still have days or weeks that I am starving all day. Just have to make wise choices now.

Cant exercise off bad eating choices Remember that. If you want a slice of pizza, fine, great! Just remember that when you grab that 3rd or 4th slice, that 1 you are overfilling your stoma, and 2 no matter how many calories your burnt off at the gym that day, you can fix that. Are there days, when I just give into my eternal fat girl and pig out, HELL YES I do. but I remember that I made the bad decisions when I see a gain the next day or 2.

What do i count When logging my food, I really only count calories and protein. It is so important that we get our protein in. Remember Protein first. So If I choose low calorie high protein, my carbs will automatically low. carbs drive up your calories. I have a daily goal of 800-950 calories a day. And the womens daily protein requirement is 60g a day. So I try to meet that. Some days, I dont get that in, but its ok. Just try harder the next day.

Rewards/Goals Set goals. They are important. Gives you something to push for. I used to set goals to meet a certain weight by certain date. (remember to be reasonable about it) And it is ok not to meet them. as long as you do meet them eventually. Sometimes our bodies just want a break. If you meet a big goal, reward yourself. Yes, meeting the goal is a reward in itself, but sometimes it is good to give yourself a little extra. When my calves shrunk enough to fit in boots, you better believe I went out and bought myself some hot ass boots! etc etc you get it.

You are a success Dont discount your successes. Dont say I ONLY lost 20 pounds. I only lost 40, 50 etc. YOU lost 20 pounds!!! That is great! You are x amount pounds lighter than you were before. I have to catch myself sometimes. I do think. I only lost 110 by my 1 year mark, wanted it to be more, but HELLO!! 1 year ago I was almost 300 pounds, not 180s.

Mental Game This is as much a mental game as a physical one. Not only are you pushing your body, but you are fighting a mental battel. Do I eat this or that, can I skip the gym today. I never had the motivation to do this before. Once I got my band something clicked in my brain. I got my mental game on!! Now get yours!

To tell or not to tell That is the question. Do you tell people you had surgery? That is a personal decision you must make. I do tell people, I dont just blurt it out but when someone askes "how did you do it" ( I hate that question by the way) I will tell them That I had had the band but I feel the need to expand on it. I always say, I had the band done, but it only controlls portion controll. I eat only low calorie foods and exercise everyday. I feel like people look down on wls patients. The band is completely different than bypass. Not to discredit their successes, they are amazing too, but the band is harder to lose weight. That is a benifit and curse of it. You can still eat the same as you did before and not exercise and not lose any weight. Just the fact of the matter. Losing weight is not easy. No matter which way you do it. I plan on doing a post about this too.

Fills/stucks Fills are what makes your band work. you can find some great videos on what exactly happens when you get a fill. I did alot of research before my first fill. I was scared. but once I got it, I realized there was nothing to be scared of. Didnt even hurt. Remember it may take a couple of fills to feel restriction. That is normal. So, with fills, you will get "Stucks" . That is when you eat something you arent supposed to or dont chew somethin as good as you should, or something you just cant handle, and it gets stuck in your band. Im not going to lie, the first time you get a stuck or even times after, it will scare the crap out of you. I still get scared sometimes. I always think is this the time that it wont clear. And man does it hurt. Mine feels like the food is stuck in my sternum. The breast bone in the center. DO NOT try to drink or eat anything if you have a stuck. It will make it worse. I have found Paypia Enzime. They are chewable pills. I take 4-5 of them and it helps digest the food that is stuck there. They take longer than some others, but works. I have tried regular old digestive enzimes. I had the capsule kind. I opened it up and poured about half on a licks worth of applesauce and ate it. Hurt even worse for about 3 seconds then it was instant relief. If it doesnt fix on its own, you have to go in and get an unfill. If that doesnt work then surgery.Remember you can have issues from them. When my band tightened when it got cold here, I had a stuck everytime I ate. Didnt matter what it was. After a while my stomach got irritated and swelled, which made everything worse. I got an small unfill and it was like magic. I have never been so happy to eat before in my life!!  Things I cant eat. Bread, comes and goes. Sometime I can eat a few bites and sometimes even the smallest nibble will get me. The crunchier the better. sticky noodles or rice. big no no for me. mashed potatoes, nope, dont go there. Cod. I know that is weard. No matter how it is cooked, just cant do it. I dont understand it. snap peas. that is another one. Some things your body just doesnt tollerate. You will learn, and as you get more fills things will change. There are things you could eat before and cant now. Just remember to chew chew chew.

Food amounts There are days I read what people eat and feel like a cow. Remember not everyone can eat the same amounts. Some may have more or less in their band, that makes a big difference. There are days, I can eat a lot in one sitting, and some Ill have a few bites and be full. Just the way it is. Dont let it get to you. There are things im mentioning in this post I still have to work on, but I know I have to work on them, so that helps me work on it.

NSV Non Scale Victories. These are great! These are goals or victories that have nothing to do with your scale. Like the boots. or my first time wearing skinny jeans. Or the fact that im being hit on left and right. (great feeling!!) Fitting into something that I did in highschool, or that same things now being to big. my first 5k. Getting a better time on my second 5k. Embrase these! Just another thing to keep you motivated.

Ok. im going to shut up now. Sorry for they typos. Im just typing away before I lost my train of thought. If you have any questions or just want to say something about this please comment. Like I said, I plan on doing more posts about what I eat, things I order at different places, starbucks, my daily exercise, and peoples view on wls. Thanks for reading. Hope this helps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment